Have you ever stepped into a store to find the ambiance a bit…off? Maybe the background music is too loud, or maybe it’s not playing at all. Or, even worse, maybe it’s a song that you just can’t stand. Music plays an integral role in setting the tone of any space, and your store is no exception.
With brick-and-mortar store locations facing increasingly stiff competition from online retailers, creating a positive and memorable in-store experience for your shoppers is more important than ever. And one of the easiest and most effective ways to do that is with background music.
Background music has been shown to positively impact consumer behavior in various ways – and can even boost your sales in the process. Here’s a look at some of the ways background music can enhance your store and help you close more sales.
The Mental Power of Music
When it comes to background music in stores, there’s more to it than just setting a mood. In fact, studies have shown that background music can impact our mental behaviors and even our purchasing decisions.
For example, background music has been shown to increase worker productivity. A study found that background music led to a substantial increase in productivity among workers. And in another study, it was found that shoppers spent more time in a store when background music was playing and were more likely to make a purchase.
So why does background music have this type of impact on us? There are actually several reasons:
1. Background music can help to mask other background noise: When background music is playing, it can help to mask other background noise, such as the sound of construction or chatter from other shoppers. This can create a more relaxing and enjoyable shopping experience for your customers.
2. Background music can create a sense of urgency: When background music is playing at a fast tempo, it can create a sense of urgency and encourage shoppers to make quicker decisions. Or, if you want shoppers to linger in your store and take their time browsing, you can play background music at a slower tempo.
3. Background music can influence our emotions: Music has a powerful ability to influence our emotions. And depending on the type of background music you choose to play in your store, you can actually influence your shoppers.
4. Background music can affect our memories: Studies have shown that background music can actually affect our memories. In one study, researchers found that people who heard background music while studying were better able to remember the information than those who didn’t.
So what does all this mean for your business? It means that you should be using background music in your store! Not only will it set the tone and create a more positive experience for your shoppers, but it will also positively influence their purchasing decisions.
Tips for Using Background Music in Your Store
Now that you know all the benefits of background music, here are some tips for using it in your store:
1. Know Your Customers Before Using Background Music
Knowing your customers before using background music in your store is essential.
What type of music do they like? What kind of music would put them in a buying mood? While music can play a powerful role in influencing purchasing decisions, it’s important to make sure that you’re playing the right type of music for your customers.
2. Set the Right Tone with Your Background Music
Your background music should set the tone for your store and match the overall atmosphere that you’re trying to create.
For example, if you’re selling upscale items, you’ll want to choose background music that is sophisticated and classy. If you’re selling fun and trendy items, you’ll want to choose background music that is lively and upbeat.
3. Make Sure the Volume is Just Right
If the volume of your background music is too low, shoppers may not even notice it. But if the volume is too high, it can be intrusive and annoying. The key is to find a happy medium – background music should be noticeable but not overwhelming.
4. Consider Royalty Free Background Music
If you’re looking for background music to use in your store, you may want to consider royalty free background music. This type of music is free to use and can be found online from a variety of sources. Just be sure to read the terms and conditions carefully before using any royalty free background music in your store.
Supercharge Your Background Music with Brandtrack
Knowing how and why background music affects shoppers is one thing, but using background music to its full potential is another. Brandtrack can help you do just that.
With our easy-to-use platform, you can quickly and easily create custom playlists that will be synchronized across all of your locations. And because we have a team of professional DJs who specialize in marketing, you can be confident that you’re choosing the right songs for your business.
In addition, our HQ Dashboard makes it easy to control everything that’s going on in your stores and get reports from one central location. Plus, our app works offline, so you don’t need an internet connection to use it.
So why wait? Sign up for Brandtrack today and see the difference our service can make for your business.